Subject: [Leica] old pens
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:17:03 +0000

Hi Jayanand,
As a teenager in the 60s I inherited a propelling pencil from my
grandfather. He had been a steel buyer for a bearing company and it had been
a gift from a steel supplier in Germany. It was a Montblanc, a make not sold
in the UK. In my 20s I tried to get leads for it, it was the first
ratcheting style clutch pencil I had ever seen, but it was a non-standard
size and Montblanc still not readily available in the UK. There seemed to be
one distributor but no dealers, I sent for the catalogue which showed a
range of slim, modern (early 70s) stainless steel affairs but nothing like
my pencil, nor leads of the appropriate diameter.
I gave up at this point but whilst visiting Germany on business in 1978 I
glanced down and alleyway and saw a Montblanc sign. I went down and had a
look around. They had no suitable leads, and the slim metal pens did not
appeal but they had 2 old-fashioned looking cigar shaped fountain pens, one
normal (rather than the plethora of thin ones) another fat. I was quite
taken by the fat one and bought it. I always used a fountain pen at that
time and several people commented on it, but no-one had heard of Montblanc.
The next time I saw a Montblanc shop was in South Africa a couple of years
later and I noticed that they had released a range of pens, ballpoints and
pencils following this retro style. Whoever picked up the marketing at this
point was very successful since they were -everywhere- soon after that!
The pen actually felt very nice in the hand but the ink flow was rather
heavy for the first page or so after re-filling, leading to unattractive
pages of writing. I still have it somewhere.

I subsequently bought a Pelikan pen and later an Omas both of which I liked
look/function of, both of these are much better pens to write with than the
Montblanc, IMO. As you say, the brand is now one of the expensive fashion
brands fiercely marketed worldwide.

Nowadays I have a paperless office, and only use a pen for signing letters.
These beautiful instruments lie idle.

Frank