Subject: [Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:11:50 +0800

I am not sure about your part of the world, in my territory Rolex is really
no big deal - you see them everywhere - all walks of life from the blue
collar to the middle class has at least one Rolex.  It is the minimum
standard of a 'proper' watch, one step up from a Seiko, the entry level
watch.

My nurses wear Rolex, so does my driver, my secretary, my guards etc.  This
is how Rolex manage to sell close to one million watches a year.  The common
belief here is that Rolex keeps their value well and easy to liquidate
should the need arise.  Instant cash.

I have been to many local Rolex functions, invariably Rolex fans here are
also collectors of finer watches.  I have never come across anyone who is
solely interested in Rolex.

Rolex is just a mass market mid-price watch that is also well-marketed.
Desirable, yes.  Absolute quality, no.

Joseph

Replies: Reply from taniel.dan at gmail.com (Daniel Tan) ([Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex)