Subject: [Leica] OT: Black Leica, black Rolex
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:36:06 +0530

John,
Joseph is absolutely right - I would never buy a Rolex or Omega today
- they are simply overpriced for what they deliver, mass produced
stuff at handmade rates. The popularity  is because anyone who comes
into money would like to flaunt a Rolex and a Montblanc to show they
have 'arrived', but both are actually quite average in quality and
workmanship - you can get far superior watches/pens for the money. The
only advantage of a Rolex I see is that they hold their value very
well, and are the most liquid watch asset you can own. I think this
list is fairly heavily populated by IWC owners and users (including
me), though I do occasionally use my father's wedding watch, a vintage
1948 Rolex Oyster, or my grandfather's 1956 Patek Calatrava, both
sensational looking watches, but a tad delicate for day to day use.
Cheers
Jayanand