Subject: [Leica] black Leica, black Rolex
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:57:13 -0500

Frank Dernie wrote:

Joseph is, as always, quite right on the subject of watches though. Mind you
there are plenty of products which manage to sell at prices well over their
quality due to effective marketing. The best value for money movements I
have seen (from this engineers perspective) are the Glashutte originals, of
which I knew nothing before Joseph showed me...
Frank D.

Pretty funny, as I was just going to respond to Joseph that 30 years ago I
bought myself a lovely new14k gold Rolex, mid-size - I think it was 1504 -
as a getting-divorced present to me and thought it was the world, though it
cost just $890. ! with leather strap. Putting aside the elaborate and
outrageous 'complications' with which the great world-class watch-makers
titillate themselves, some years ago I became enthralled with what the great
folk in Glasshutte, A. Lange und Sohne, were doing, and tried to figure out
a way I could justify buying one. Couldn't find one. Of course he's right.
Rolex makes a very good watch, but it is in the middle range of 'fine'
watches. And overpriced.

Seth