Subject: [Leica] OT: Yawn
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:30:13 -0800

I think it's going to be a killer product.

I recommend reading John Gruber's piece over on DaringFireball.com.

I think it's going to hurt the kindle a lot. I have one, I find it
frustrating in ways the keep me from really enjoying it. I actually
like the Kindle reader on my iPhone better than I do the Kindle
itself.

The take away from Gruber's essay is simply how very very fast it is.
That little chip inside is doing some serious business.

I think the 2nd or 3rd iteration of this device is going to be AMAZING.

I love the way it does pictures - the motion for opening stacks is
very sexy. I wonder if it will appear in Aperture.

Note that it doesn't do Flash - no loss to me. I use ClickToFlash to
turn that crap off unless I absolutely have to have it. Between the
iPhone and the iPad HTML 5 will get a huge boost. Google has shown
what can be done with HTML 5.

It won't be a replacement for a laptop, though, for a working
photographer in the field. Still need that spinning disk storage to
hold all the huge images, but I have a thought that at some point
you'll be able to plug a future version of one of these into your
computer and use it as a 2nd display.

The keyboard dock is spiffy.

I have three kids and for one it's absolutely perfect, for one it's an
"early adopter gadget" and for the other it's "I'll wait." I think my
wife would rather use this than her MacBook Air and I'd rather use it
for eBooks than the Kindle. I don't think I need the 3G version
although the turn-it-on, turn-it-off data plan from AT&T makes a lot
of sense to me.

I suspect this device will be like the original iPod: lots of people
had their own favorite MP3 player, but the combination of the iPod,
iTunes, and the great GUI made a whole new eco-system.

Well, I think we haven't even scratched the surface of what developers
will do on this puppy.

Does anyone REALLY miss the camera? I've heard all this whining about
no camera but I can't think of why I'd really want one unless it were
for video conferencing which I don't do anyway.

The $500 price point was vital.

Adam

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: Yawn)
Message from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] OT: Yawn)