Subject: [Leica] Jobs adulation
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:28:56 +0000

Hi Adam,
I enjoyed reading Brian's insight and your reply. In my opinion business
school can teach nothing about innovation and original thought. You either
have it or not. Engineering is like any other talent, you are born with it
and all education can do is facilitate your use of the talent you have.
I think the importance in our culture of corporations and brands is
mistaken. It is all about individuals. Apple is excellent and innovative
because of the people.
In my business you get fans of teams and drivers but, in fact it is, and
always has been about the engineering innovation.
Ferrari and McLaren were not successful because they were the best teams, or
had the best drivers (both have had long periods of mediocre performance
when they have not had the right people).
2009 was a beautifully illustration of this. Following a big rule change
both McLaren and Ferrari started badly, since they had lost their
innovators. Brawn and Red Bull, their ex-innovators new teams, were ahead.
Hamilton did not suddenly get useless, nor did Button suddenly become good.
It is all about the engineer. Always has been always will be.
The fact all technology is a people business, and without innovation
companies end up producing, effectively, rip-offs...
IMHO
Frank