Subject: [Leica] R8 Motor Drive Battery Replacement - with Battery URL
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 16:01:36 -0500

Just in case anyone is biting their nails waiting for to find out if their
NiMH battery pack can be upgraded  to a LiIon battery pack for better cold
weather performance, the answer I have back from Kindermann is no. Gerry
didn't elaborate but I expect it is because of the different charging curve
required by LiIon batteries as well as the impact of differences in the
internal voltage to the camera and the motor drive.

If it wasn't for the charger differences, one can replace the 8 NiMH cells
(1.2V * 8 = 9.6V) with 6 LiIon cells + 2 dummy cells (1.5V*6 = 9.0V) or 7
cells (10.5V)... Hmmm... A very rainy day project. :)

Regards,
Spencer

Message from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] R8 Motor Drive Battery Replacement)
Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] R8 Motor Drive Battery Replacement - with Battery URL)