Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wood Duck
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 08:54:52 -0500 (EST)

Hugh Thompson wrote:

>Doug - I looked at them all, and don't find the background distracting
>at all, even with the shot of the male in front and female, out of
>focus behind.
>
>The ducks are pin sharp on the eyes, such beautiful colors
>
>Hugh
>

>On 5-Feb-10, at 12:13 AM, wildlightphoto at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> male:
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/wodu03.html
>>
>> female:
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/wodu04.html

Thanks all for your comments!  Except for cloning out a reflection of
another duck from one corner, the backgrounds are un-manipulated.

I asked about the backgrounds in particular because I had a discussion with
SWMBO on this topic.  We agreed that the calmer, more subtle background of
the second photo works better with the female duck's plumage but for the
first photo one of us (I won't say who) would rather have had the background
more like the second photo, while the other felt the brighter background was
better for the male.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com