Subject: [Leica] What's the verdict out there on the Panasonic GF-1 and Leica M adapter?
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:34:52 +0000

Vick,

funny you should mention that - I was thinking about replying to you in
a similar vein.  We have a "cheap" Canon video camera which hardly gets
any use.  If my wife Karin wants to shoot video, she usually reaches for
an aged Canon S50 camera!

Like Nathan, video doesn't interest me: so much so, that I have disabled
the video button on the camera.

I can't speak for the M adaptor for the GF1, but the camera and 20mm
pancake lens performs very well indeed.  I have just returned from an
afternoon stroll - the light was flatter that ten-day-old roadkill, but
nevertheless, I managed to get a couple of shots which after some PP in
Lightroom will produce satisfactory prints.

I met Frank Dernie for lunch last Wednesday and he has a GH1, which may
suit your needs better. He said the 14-45 kit zoom is very good for
video and it has an electronic viewfinder.  On top of the viewfinder is
a stereo microphone, which I would think would give better sound quality
than could be achieved with the smaller GF1.
I'm no expert on video, but I think the quality that could be achieved
with the G(F or H)1 might be better than a $250-$300 video camera.

So many choices, so little time!

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK