Subject: [Leica] Overcast day
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:50:18 -0500

2010-02-09-11:04:57 Mark Rabiner:
> Are they going to wear a  hard hat underwater instead of scuba gear?

I expect he's referring to surface-supplied professional diving:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_diving

Since the "SC" in "SCUBA" is "Self Contained" -- meaning hauling your
own tanks of air around on your back which, you know, run out
eventually -- that would impose inconvenient limits on time down when
doing long underwater jobs.  Hard hat diving is in that broad class of
serious diving (including any number of other scary things, like
caves, going really deep, breathing gas mixtures other than plain old
air) which I'm perfectly happy to assume I'll never be involved with.

 -Jeff

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Overcast day)