Subject: [Leica] IMG: Murillo's
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:54:05 -0600

Quoth the Tina Manley :

> Thanks, Bob.
> I had rejected it for the same reason, but it was one of Maggie's
> favorite
> photos.  She said the mother's look just added to picturing her
> responsibilities and the fact that her work is never done.  In that
> case, I
> guess this would be an example of factual concerns trumping
> aesthetic ones
> (for Maggie, anyway)?

Or a different aesthetic standard, in any event.

I had the privilege of learning from Ms. Steber at a Missouri
Workshop 15-odd (some of them VERY odd) years ago. One of the main
things I learned from her specifically was the value of complex,
multi-centered story-telling photos as opposed to the monopolar "one
look and you've got it" stuff we're surrounded by (and that my
editors invariably go for).  I learned to admire such things, but I'm
not quite as good at capturing them as I'd like.

I think it's the difference between book/magazine long-form
photojournalism and what passes for News Photography in the age of
online 3-second flash timers.  There's precious little
"photojournalism" in the mainstream any longer; we're "content
providers" whose task is not telling stories, but selling
newspapers/websites.

</rant>

Message from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] IMG: Murillo's)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Murillo's)