Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: rhart76 at gmail.com (Roger Hart)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:18:14 -0500

Tina,

The editing process you describe is nearly identical to what I did a couple
of years ago to produce my book on Formula One racing in Detroit in the
1980s. I had nearly 4,000 frames (black and white and color neg) to look at.
My initial edit, on film, was a bit more than 400 images. From there I did
the A and B list, with A being keepers and B a wish list. The A list had
about 125 frames. The B list had about 100. I had those 225-plus frames
printed full-frame, black and white. Once the work prints were made I then
began working on the structure of the book and came up with four main
chapters. Seeing the prints spread out on a floor made it much easier to put
the right photos in the right places.

When all was done, I shipped about 140 photos to the publisher and 125
photos made the book. Before shipping everything off, I went back through
all the negatives again for one more look, just to make sure I hadn't missed
something great. It had beeen almost 20 years since I'd even looked at these
negatives. Nothing had. I was very satisfied with the finished product.
Having said that, I think it is much easier to edit someone else's work than
your own. As some who edits, writes and photographs for a living, I know I
am a better editor of somone else's work than I am of my own. Having another
set of eyes look over your shoulder is alays a good thing, be it for words
or pictures.

Roger Hart
Detroit