Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:32:19 -0800

Granted on the issues of the visual essay. It's an area that vexed him to no
end.
However, on the printing issue, he wasn't especially brilliant,or anything
approaching the level of a genius, as the current wave of celebratory and
fawning 'scholarship' likes to intimate.
In the mid 1970's, I interviewed one of his old editor at LIFE. I wish I had
the presence of mind to have saved the notes. His name currently escapes me.
However, I will be in Santa Monica this afternoon. I'll try to swing by the
house, where the interview took place. Maybe the family still owns it, or
the current tenant might know who lived had lived there.
Anyway, he said he kept an eye on Smith while he stepped off the LIFE
reservation. He made sure he was hired back in 1944.
A number of comments stand out from that nearly 3 hour conversation.
According to the editor, the key reason over the earlier disagreement with
LIFE, came up over Smith's refusal to use a larger format than the 35mm.
Another interesting point was his dismissal of Smith's printing
capabilities. He recounted, how one day Smith went to the LIFE lab to have a
print done. He had spent days on it, with little success. He showed the head
printer what he done so far, and asked if he could do something with it. The
printer came back 15 minutes later, and asked Smith if that''s what he had
in mind, as he showed him the print. Smith just looked at the print, nodded,
and walked away.  Apparently not very happy at not being to able to have
solved the negative's issues with that kind of ease, according to the editor.
Lastly, he mentioned that it was in Smith's contract that he wasn't allowed
to use strobes. However, he did use a small strobe in the shot of Schweitzer
at the his desk with the oil lamp. Smith bounced the light off the floor, to
the left of Schweitzer, to separate him from the dark background. Apparently
all the contracts were tailored to each individual photographer. What
applied to Smith might not necessarily apply to Capa, etc.
That's all I can remember so far.
During the 70's Smith wasn't especially known for his printing. It was just
general knowledge.
In those years I made a point of trying to meet as many of the photographers
whose work I admired.
But, by then Smith was an isolated tragic figure, who was no longer
accessible.
The editor was the closest I could come.
S.d.