Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:59:37 -0500

SD,

First, do keep in mind that the Life editors, who were foisting off one
jolly middle-of-the-road everything's-going-great-in-America-and--the-West
story after another, largely disliked Smith or worse.  He made nothing but
trouble. When he was sent to Britain to cover the elections in 1950 --
because Henry Luce badly wanted Labour to lose to the Tories -- he came back
with the famous pictures of the Welsh miners. You can imagine how pleased
the editors were. And on and on it went.

Second, Smith was "isolated" in the 1970s largely in Minimata Japan where he
became a lasting national hero to the Japanese by chronicling the effects of
mercury poisoning on the citizens of that sea-side town, due to industrial
waste poured directly into local waters by a local corporation, which
eventually after much legal wrangling (also covered by Smith, over four or
five years living on no money in the village) was held liable for its abuse,
the first time this ever occurred in Japan. He was physically ever more of a
wreck -- much of the self-medicating and subsequent addiction had its
foundation in the injuries to his neck and back that he suffered in the war,
the same neck and back he was hanging six Leicas off of in the 1940s and
50s.

So perhaps those who testify about his skill as a printer are hagiographers
and perhaps he was mediocre; no matter now. We are left with the prints
reproduced in books like "Dream Street" and "The Jazz Loft Project" --
prints made over years when he was broke and had a smattering of girlfriends
and acolytes assisting him on an irregular basis -- he used up people the
way he used up film -- and these are subtle and magnificent prints, judging
by the reproductions. So we'll enjoy them without being doctrinaire about
their production.

VP