Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:30:13 -0800

Emanuel offered:

>>>As for Smith, that he was working with SIX Leicas is a bad sign right off
the bat. That is simply too many cameras. IMHO, using anything more than
three cameras on a shoot is a sign of a troubled mind; two would be much
better. <<<<<<,

Emmanuel,
Damn that means I've been working with a troubled mind (OK you guys and
gals, never mind!) ;-)  for a great number of years shooting with 6 Leica's
! 3 M's off my neck lying on my chest stacked above each other just enough
not to clank against each other. 2 motor driven R's off the left shoulder
and a third motor R off the right shoulder!

Actually it's quite easy as it becomes a daily routine when the assignment
calls for this kind of work use. Each camera has a different lens, saves a
lot of waste time and picture missed opportunities not having to change
lenses!

Obviously you do not work in this fashion on every assignment, but it can be
done quite easily and most effectively on some documentary assignments and
long term photo projects.

I mean poor old Gene had a troubled mind ever since he was wounded in Iwo
Jima during the war. So I think using his 6 Leica's at one time didn't cause
any mind malfunction.

ted