Subject: [Leica] Castles in the Rhine
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:24:41 -0500

Nathan is right. A river boat is the only way to see castles on the Rhine.
I'll post a few of the pictures I took on a river tour through Europe two
years ago. An interesting fact. During WW2 bomber pilots were instructed not
to bomb the castles along the Rhine because they were not considered
valuable military targets and history would never forgive the US Air Force.
Hitler took advantage of the Allies concern for history by modifying many of
the railroad tunnel entrances along the river to look like castles, figuring
correctly that it would be hard to tell the difference at an altitude of
20,000 feet.

All this is written during commercials when watching the Olympics. The USA
is leading Canada in hockey 3 to 2 in the third period so it was probably
wise to shut off alcohol sales in Vancouver.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Fortified railway tunnels)