Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith and the darkroom
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:42:06 -0800

Thank you for bringing that up. My favorite surface used to be Agfa 119.
When I came back to the States, it wasn't imported. Damn, that was a let
down. Paper had changed, and it changed repeatedly.
The late 70's was when papers really changed for the very worst.  Things
were so bad that even discontinued Dupont Varigam began to look good next to
the reformulations by Kodak, Agfa, and Ilford.
One disaster in particular was Kodak's Elite, with its thicker paper. What
wasn't anticipated was the issue of the shrinkage differential between the
emulsion coat and the fiber base. It made the prints prone to cracking, even
after a long soak in print flattener prior to drying. I even dried them face
down, with a tray of water underneath the racks, with little success on
making the prints supple and free from curling.
The latter prints done from Smith's negs don't have his deft touch with
ferricyanide. They look brittle, and face it, uninspired.
S.d.