Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith and the darkroom
From: tcharara at mac.com (Tarek Charara)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:58:09 +0100

There is a book called Darkroom (actually two books: Darkroom &
Darkroom 2) where photographers write about their darkroom methods.
The chapter with Eugene Smith is very interesting:

"There is nothing in photography I hate worse than the discipline of
the darkroom, and yet I have spent all these years printing. The
reason is very simple. I want the damn pictures to say what I want
them to say. [...] Making my own print is the only way to fulfill what
I saw when I made the photographs."

"My printing style has evolved out of my work for publications. In an
effort to balance prints and make them work for engraving, I evolved a
style that I happen to like for my own work. The two approaches
coincide, except that I give the printer the worst print. It's usually
a little lighter, although you can't totally outguess a printer. I
have illustrations from several sources made from the same print, and
the differences between them are fantastic."

"Yesterday somebody shocked me by bringing over sixteen prints I had
made at the time of "Spanish Village" (1951). They were absolutely
beautiful. Whether the paper has changed or I cant print as well, I
don't know, but there was an openness I just can't get with the
present papers. I'm not happy with any that I'm printing on. I have to
work harder to get the openness I want, or I should say I have to work
harder with ferricyanide. [...]"

"As I said befor, I absolutely despise printing. I look at the
negative, and I look at the print. I come face to face with all the
mistakes that I made. In the darkroom it is my problem to overcome the
mistakes. I know the print I want, and I know I'll probably get it,
but it's sheer drudgery. My formula for successful printing remains
ordinary chemicals, an ordinary enlarger, music, a bottle of Scotch,
and stubbornness."

The chapter is longer of course...

All the best from the south of France!

Tarek