Subject: [Leica] Railway tunnels on the Rhine
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:49:10 +0100

No Larry,

as far as I know they used to be giants, but today are a bunch of
dwarves in the state of Hesse in the service of a benevolent magician
from Austria :-)

BTW: did you hear the true story about the Pied Piper of Hamelin, and
the 7 dwarves of Snow White fame?

Hamelin's kids were marched off and disappeared into a cave and were
never seen again after their parents were unable to pay the piper.

There's quite a parallel to what really happened in the middle ages - in
times of poverty, for example when rats destroyed stored foodstuffs,
parents sold their children to work in the lead and silver mines of the
Harz mountains - a short march over 7 hills from Hamelin (the seven
hills behind which Snow White was the fairest in the land) -  very few
of them ever came back.

The 7 dwarves described in that story pretty well match the appearance
of children who have spent a life bent double in the dark and poisoned
by lead, arsenic and antimony dust in the mines. Old people in that job
were usually around 25 at the most.

Aren't fairytales just wonderful ;-)

Cheers
Douglas