Subject: [Leica] Belgian Ale test
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:31:12 +0100

Vince,

serving a beer too cold - cold enough that moisture condenses on the
glass - is generally done to hide the fact that it tastes as if it's
been drunk once and recycled out at the back of the pub. :-)

Beers should be cooled but never cold. Chilling beers too much begins to
reduce taste perception, anything at 10? (50?F) almost goes past the
taste buds unnoticed.

The proper SERVING temperature for cask ales in the UK has been set by
Cask Marque (a non-profit organistation) at 12?-14?C (53?-57?F), STORAGE
temperatures are usually 10? to 12? for cask ales. Some stronger ales
even taste their best at room temperature.

In fact serving temperatures approaching room temperature can actually
reveal all the nuances in the taste or flavour of a good beer. Only
lagers or pilsener-style beers should be served chilled - around 8? C

If you want cold refreshment, chilled water is still the best drink.

Good beers are like good wines, something to be really savoured (which I
will be doing in Yorkshire for 3 weeks in August/September)

Cheers
Douglas