Subject: [Leica] Crazy
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:44:48 -0500

Jayanand writes:
Do you mean to say that airbrushing inconvenient parts of images is
acceptable? Or staging images and passing them off as spontaneous? These
'lies' have always been part and parcel of photography and
photojournalism,
especially when a propaganda machine is rolling.

- - - - - -
Of course the prohibition of photo manipulation can be taken too far.
In the distant past when I actually got paid to take pictures for a
newspaper, I had a photo editor who firmly believed that the camera was
the reader's eyeball surrogate. He felt that the picture should show
exactly what a reader would see if standing in the same position as the
photographer. If you wanted a bigger picture, move closer to the
action. Any use of wide angle or telephoto lenses would alter the
perspective and would be considered "editorializing", a major sin in
newspaper circles. Of course in our case the point was moot since we
all used 4x5 Speed Graphics. I noted also that he didn't have an
objection to cutting up the negative with a pair of scissors to make
the picture fit in the available space. I wonder how he would feel
about Photoshop?
Larry Z