Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:04:01 +0100

Just to add to Geoff's analysis: production costs have very little to do
with prices. In the long run of course every company must have a positive
margin to stay in business. But prices are determined by what people are
willing to pay for an item, not by how much it costs to produce it. This
morning I was at the Fnac in Paris with my daughter. She was looking at a
Hello Kitty thingie that cost 14 Euro. I am certain that the production cost
at the Chinese factory where this item was made was at most 20 cents. But
evidently some people (not me) are willing to pay 14 Euro for it, and so
that is the price.

Leica pricing, albeit at a different level, is no different. It is the
buyers' willingness to pay that matters.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu