Subject: [Leica] A S2 blog entry
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:48:14 -0500

My good man, I claim it and I took NINE years of grammar in the Catholic
schools and from there went on to spend my adult life immersed in the
requirements and pleasures of English. There are many many more expert than
I but I'm no slouch.

So I know you ain't right.

I would add -- and this is going to infuriate people -- that to my mind the
only vivid and creative new developments in the English language in my
lifetime have taken place in the context of urban culture and its
tremendously inventive, sly, colorful new forms of speech. Of course,
'standard' English is meant for those in power; those without power have to
speak in code. Thus, in the U.S.,black English since at least the mid-19th
century has been, quite intentionally, only marginally comprehensible to
whites.

So when people complain about irregular speech and bad grammar and such they
are not talking about Mark Twain's vernacular, Casey Stengel's, or Yogi
Berra's. INVARIABLY they are talking about people whom they view, or whom
they want to depict, as below them socially.