Subject: [Leica] Almost Leica
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:45:27 -0400

Vince writes:
"This is probably dumb but I have an organization-of-the-site question. You

list the "CL" under "Almost Leica" but it was a Leica camera by name and had

Leica's logo on it and the name Leica on the front and Leica produced its

lenses."

- - - - -

If we keep to the rigorous definition of Leica equipment as made by E. Leitz
or Leica in Wetzlar or Solms then a lot of things become "almost" Leica. The
CL was, of course, manufactured by Minolta. But Leica cameras and lenses
were made in Canada and Portugal. Leica digitals were made by Fuji and
Panasonic in Japan. During WW2 Leica cameras were assembled by Leitz, NY.
Wollensak lenses in Leica mounts were fitted to NY made cameras. The sensor
of the M8 and M9 cameras is made by Kodak in Rochester, NY and the
electronics are made by Jenoptik. So I guess only the Barnack cameras and
the M3 through M7 are real Leicas. As if it made any difference.

Larry Z