Subject: [Leica] Digital academia
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:22:34 -0600

Hi Spencer,

Your post motivated me to photo part of the internals of a backup device, a
robotic tape library with a petabyte capacity (600+ 1.6 terabyte tapes).

http://www.ancientmoney.org/library.html

If one has the space, time, and and a bit of knowledge, things like this can
be
acquired fairly inexpensively.  I had installed a couple of LTO4 tape
drives,
and someone in Quantum service became upset and canceled a $20K/year
maintenance
contract - one is not allowed to work on their own equipment under their
rules.
Generally speaking, it is a reasonable position, however, not in every case.
Quantum left me stranded with a broken hoist cable for the robotics
platform,
and I'd made the mistake of power-cycling the library and nothing would come
online. The tape drive enclosures have electronic switches which only allow
the
drives to power up after the robotic diagnostics succeed. $10 for stainless
steel aircraft cable (not for use in aircraft, of course) and $50 for
cutting
and swaging tools and it was back in operation.

Quantum gave a credit for the prepaid maintenance which bought a pallet of
tapes.  Ultimately Quantum was apologetic and showed good integrity.

I found a used library for $5.5K which works perfectly and provides the
necessary backup for the backup device.

In the process I looked into the library's controller and found its OS quite
comforting, Linux. The OCP is a tiny flat screen xterm with a four button
keyboard and the library runs Apache for its web interface.  I think the
interface between the robotics and the processor is serial with simple ascii
commands. The interface between the tape drives and the outside is fibre
channel
through bridge cards.  One talks to the Linux processor over ethernet,
however,
there is also a fibre channel card in the controller so that robotic
commands
may be sent via scsi over fc by the hosts.

John