Subject: [Leica] OT: Another maybe not so stupid GH1 question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:42:39 -0400

> At 2:59 AM -0400 3/26/10, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>>  Vince,
>>>
>>>  The 45mm lens may require a faster shutter speed because, with the crop
>>>  factor, most images will have to be enlarged more than they would if the
>>>  lens were used with a larger sensor.  With more enlargement, camera
>>> shake
>>>  becomes more evident.
>>>
>>>  Jim Nichols
>>

>> I wonder why it is than than medium format photography requires faster
>> shutter speeds than 35mm?
>>
>> [Rabs]
>> Mark William Rabiner
>

> Because:
>
> a) why shoot larger format if you're not going to get better quality? and
>
> b) if you shoot MF SLR's, there's that very large, heavy flappy thing
> doing nasty things to the camera's stability. After all, if you have
> a mirror that's properly upsized for MF, it has a linear
> magnification of 2x (talking about 6x7 here), an aereal magnification
> of 4x and a mass magnification of 8x. That's a lot of mass to control.
>
> If you're shooting a 6x7 rangefinder like the Mamiya 7 with between
> lens shutter, you don't have to increase shutter speed except
> possibly for reason a).

I first noticed it with my first medium format camera which was and is a
twin lenes Rolleiflex with very smooth operation and Synchro Compur MXV
shutter.
A brick which takes pictures.
I found shooting it with its classic 80mm Zeiss planar hand held to not
follow the rule of thumb. An 80th of a second did not cut it sharpness wise
I certainly felt much better at 125th of a second. A 60th was not sharp at
all. This made stepping up to medium format much more difficult than I
imagined. But I dealt with it.
Later on the Hasselblad shooting with a 50 or 60 helped. And pre pop.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Hasselblad sighting (movie))