Subject: [Leica] three questions: C41 b/w film; Mamiya DM22; why no US version of GF1 w 20mm kit?
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:00:06 -0400

On Mar 28, 2010 at 01:13 AM -0400, Vince Passaro wrote:
> I'm contemplating C41 b and w film. I've used the Kodak and liked it
> sometimes and not others (dependong on factors I was too ignorant to learn
> how to control at the time, I suspect). My impression though was that Koday
> was the best of them but I do recollect an Ilford that some people liked...
> perhaps it was that 50 ASA of theirs?
>
> Anyone using C41 and feel knowledgeable and opinionated enough to declare
> differences and preferences?

Both films are ISO 400, very fine grained (no real grain to speak of), and
also do very well if over exposed.

The main difference between the two is that the Ilford (XP2 Super) has a
gray base, while the Kodak (BW400CN) has an orangish base, like C-41 color
film.  The Ilford base makes it easier to use in the darkroom with B&W paper
because you don't have to print through the orange base, which can also
affect the contrast if you are using VC paper.  If you are scanning, I'd say
buy whichever one is cheaper or more easily available.

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] three questions: C41 b/w film)
Reply from rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (rob mcclure) ([Leica] three questions: C41 b/w film; Mamiya DM22; why no US version of GF1 w 20mm kit?)