Subject: [Leica] Downloading Files External HD with Aperture 2
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:56:12 -0400

> Hey All,
>
> I'm on the road and getting overwhelmed with digital files, and
> computer technology is not my strong point. I have a 500 GB lacie hard
> drive with me, and I'm running a macbook pro with Aperture 2. The hard
> drive on my computer is virtually full. Is there a way to download
> digital files from my M9 directly onto the Lacie, bypassing my
> computer's hard drive? Or do I have to download the files in Aperture,
> then dump the files from Aperture onto the external drive?
>
> The thing that makes me crazy about doing that is in Aperture, a
> typical M9 file is 17.48mb; when I drop and drag them on the Lacie,
> and subsequently open them from the Lacie in PS3, they are 12.9mb, at
> 72 resolution. To the technically challenged, this appears that by
> simply dropping and dragging a file on to an external HD I'm losing
> almost 5mb of information. Is this the case? Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Craig

Can't be specific in Aperture, but in LR and I suspect aperture you can
choose where the files are being stored at the time of download. I always
download onto the external drives NOT the lap or desk top hard drives for
this very reason. LR keeps track of where they are stored and even if the
external drive is not connected it will give me thumbnails. I would use
the finder to transfer files from the computer hd to the external and you
should not lose data that way, but you will have to re-import them anyway
into aperture, so why not do it at the time you first import from the
camera.

Cheers

Alastair