Subject: [Leica] New Digital (?) Rangefinder Rumor
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:30:35 -0400

I don't think Leica will come out with a lower priced M9, ie a D700
equivalent: a mime of their full frame camera at a sharply lower price.
They'd kill the market they have so well locked right now -- with a 7 month
back order.

I think it's possible (looking toward possible rangefinder develoopments)
they'll come out with an improved $4500 or $5K M8 ie not full frame. Perhaps
even 1.5 ASP-C.  Without some of the M8's now famous difficulties. This
would not require the development dollars of a lower priced M9. But even
here, staying away from full frame, they'll still be biting into the M9
market to some degree.

And even more I think they'll be looking at the X1 and if the
interchangeable lens / live view phenomenon holds up how to come in at the
highest price point in that market -- ie a interchangeable lens small
camera, maybe 2 to 3 dedicated lenses a la the CL

Not bayonet mount. Though one wishes it would be.

That would be the smart way to go. Not that this ever dictates their
marketing decisions.