Subject: [Leica] widest lens used?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 00:35:50 -0400

> Jesus, Mark, you find that lens useable?
> S.d.
>
> On Apr 1, 2010, at 8:06 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> And 149 with the compact 55-200

A 80 to 300 full frame lens for full frame is a bit of a monster to shoot
with. I have one.
But The 55-200 f4-5.6 G ED AF-S DX Nikor  is that lens at a forth of the
size and weight and price even. Its one of the few advantages to a cropped
format you get to use some real compact gear and even pay less money. You'd
think you were shooting with a half fame system. Then you find out you are.
If I had the current VR anti vibration version of that lens I'd be using it
ten times more. Its only a bit bigger  and heavier.
I obviously  do find it useable as I just said so.
And while typing it had the images right in front of me on my screen in
Bridge.
The specs of this very inexpensive lenes also speak for themselves.
They are very competitive from a results angle.
While heavy fast expensive glass is normally considered professional
Lightweight compact slower and cheaper glass from Nikon often has as good or
not better specs. Contrast and resolution.  And on a number of levels I find
compact glass more useable.  Hence my interest in Leica.

I hear when you shoot Canon you have to stick with the 2.8's the cheaper
stuff does not have the specs.
But shooting a nikon system we do have that option.
It looks bad. People expect to see a 2.8 Yuban coffee can on your camera.
But to have what looks like a 50mm normal lens on your camera but be able to
get 3oomm reach is very thrilling and useful to me for the 55 months I've
been using this lens which I got for 150 bucks new the week it came out.
I had the sigma lens before that but it had apparitions on the white
backdrop. Large eerie ghosts. In the field though you never saw them but
back then I was half the time in the studio.

As I go back to the 60's to me a zoom lens is an 80 - 200.
This 55-200 is that lens only for DX as close as I can get to the classic 80
- 200 angles I am used to
And I used it on the white backdrop with studio strobes hand holding it for
shoots lasting several hours.

http://www.bythom.com/55200lens.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55200.htm
Thom is farily high on it Ken I doubt uses it at all but briefly checked it
out.
I never had much problem with how slow it focuses.
Especially shooting trees. Even blowing in the wind.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] widest lens used?)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] widest lens used?)