Subject: [Leica] Auto vibration reduction
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 02:35:44 -0400

> Mark --
>
> I agree with you except in two regrads:
>
> 1. Many of us came to Leica and hold its aesthetic and photographic values
> dear not out of low-tech purist convictions but because of the elegance of
> the thing, and especially the elegance of its traditional size, \\\\\The
> first time I picked up a Nikon D90 in B & H -- a D90 is on the smaller end
> of the Nikon DSLR range -- with an 77mm filter thread 85mm 1.2? 1.4? lens
> on
> it, it felt so unpleasantly huge. I kept thinking it was something I could
> use to sand my walls. Barnack invented the thing to be small and so it
> should be, I often think.
>
> 2.  It's Doug who's expressing considerable skepticism about the effect on
> sharpness of IS in the lens. Just as you say the techs at Nikon and Canon
> know their jobs, so much does Doug (I believe) know his. You can count head
> feathers at hundreds of yards in some of his pictures. So if he says it
> it's
> probably got some merit, I think.
>
> Some of those IS lenses are real big and real ugly, unfortunately. too. Is
> what I'm saying.

Doug knows he likes shooting non auto focus glass (and non VR or IS) like
many of us like you would think here on the Leica users group.
The bulk of the working photographers out here do not.
They use Nikon Canon class of the most recent vintage they can  lay their
hands on and nobodies rolling their eyes upwards at their cutting edge
results.
So its they that are disagreeing with Doug not me.
Just became Doug us in the niche minority does not mean he's wrong in his
choice of glass. But it sure does not mean the masses of top pros out there
are wrong either. We can chose the low tech road and hope its the high road
but I think its not wise to put down the techniques of the top pros out
there who are making a living and are committed to their work hitting
deadlines and when Nikon and Canon come out with their latest offerings
believe me its of interest. They could give a flying fig about how many
elements are in them.
I may be interested in compactness and light weight and minimum elements but
I do respect the bulk of the top shooters out there who are context to carry
a very large heavy piece of glass which takes batteries to operate. If I
didn't I doubt they'd care.
The bulk of the images we see every day are made by them. To say their
images are not viable does not quite add up.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] Auto vibration reduction)