Subject: [Leica] German angst
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 22:58:02 -0400

I believe you said he had no support in the universities.  that was the
point of the Heidegger portion of my story; and the Heidegger story was not
a-typical.  The larger point was that many of the people who said they'd
never voted for Reagan were lying. Similarly, the support that Hitler had in
Germany while he was tearing up the constitution as you put it and
establishing his Reich was virtually universal. Opposition to him and the
Nazis, as noble and interesting and courageous as it might have been, was
minimal.  Many historians believe that there was significant diversity of
opinion and intention among the Germans during the Nazi period but there is
little documented evidence of it and there is much documentary evidence
supporting Daniel Goldhagen's claim that the vast majority was knowledgeable
and willing in the creation of the Nazi state and its most lethal policies.