Subject: [Leica] Tiger People - a pee story
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:47:54 +0800

Hi Luggers,
Shooting Tigers is accomplished with the help of a lot of people,
principally your driver and guide.
In Ranthambhore you could claim the same driver and guide for every
excursion. In Bandhavgarh
the driver came with the lodge and the guide was assigned by the park
authorities. Jayanand and I
were lucky to have quiet times alone with the tigers. The following
photo shows the more likely situation.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/TigerPeople/

http://tinyurl.com/ye94ynj

Our driver in Bandhavgarh was Kunwar. He had a swagger about him,
like an Indian Omar Sharif, and clearly was a leader among the drivers.
He had great knowledge about the trails of the tigers and could drive
like Michael Schumacher when he had to when intercepting the tigers
- he was really magnificent

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/TigerPeople/Kunwarw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/ya288dt

The guides in Bandhavgarh are assigned by the Park Authorities and
some are good -
some not. One day we had a drunk one who slept in the back of the jeep
all through the
safari. He didn't get a tip. Shankar was the opposite end of the
spectrum, 31, married with
one son, he has been a guide for 10 years and has obviously studied to
be knowledgeable
about the flora and fauna in the reserve and worked hard to have
excellent english.

He also has a good sense of humour illustrated by this story.

One afternoon it was very hot and I drank a lot of water.
There was no place to stop to go to the toilet and you are not allowed
to get off the jeep but I had to go. The jarring of the ride had
really dislodged my kidneys.
So Kunwar pulled up at one of the water holes - looked around and said
go for it. I hopped
down from the jeep and walked behind a tree and let fly! After a long
while I felt greatly
relieved and hopped back on the jeep.

As I settled in Shankar turned to me very seriously and said " Now you
will have to be very careful.
You have marked a male tiger's territory and by the size of the mark
he is going to think you are
very big and he will be looking for you."

I looked at him wide eyed. "Really?" I said.

Shankar smiled

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/TigerPeople/Shankarw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/yl7rttl

and then chuckled and then he and Kunwar burst out laughing as we
turned back into the
afternoon dust.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/TigerPeople/JeepDustw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/yatmmpq