Subject: [Leica] Shiny Screen iMac Calibration Question
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 15:17:36 -0400

I now have new 20.5" shiny-screen iMac.  It's a great machine, but my
attempts to calibrate it are coming to naught.  The glass panel seems to
catch light from behind and screw up the calibration, yielding a result in
which what I assume should be a neutral grey surround in Lightroom has a
distinctly greenish look.

My best results come from using the Spyder 3 sensor and software with the
dock hidden, the screen fully shrouded, and the room darkened.  Color Eyes,
which seems more flexible and actually has an iMac profile, yields a even
more-green result.

My brother, a retired TV engineer, says the problem sounds like it might be
due to the software calibrating gamma incorrectly, for at least the green
channel.  His HP shiny screen monitor calibrates perfectly though, he says,
so maybe it's not the screen but some limitation in the iMac's video
circuits?

In any case, I'm thinking I may have to get a second monitor with a matte
screen, maybe an Eizo, but before I did that I'd like to hear other's
opinions on this, particularly if you've found a way to calibrate these
machines correctly.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Dick