Subject: [Leica] Semana Santa (Holy Week)
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:56:11 -0500

Quoth the Lluis Ripoll Querol :

> Hi Jayanand,
>
> I didn't know the reason, I think Nathan's explanation could be the
> reason, all we are the same face to God, I agree with the inquisitor
> aspect of this old tradition, I should say in despite of many
> opinions, that this is a quite folcklore tradition.

I was told two different things, and don't know which is true... some
of both, possibly.

First, as Nathan said, we are all the same before God.

Second, that the penitentes are masked because their sin, and
repentance, is a private matter between themselves and God, and
nobody's business but their own.  I suspect also that there were
cases, in history, where flagellants would become as much performers
as penitents, which would defeat the purpose of the ritual.  So to
avoid that, all the participants were anonymous.

It's an interesting tradition, in any event.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] Semana Santa (Holy Week))
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Semana Santa (Holy Week))
Message from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] Semana Santa (Holy Week))