Subject: [Leica] Solms
From: rclompus at mac.com (Richard Clompus)
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:17:44 -0400

I visited Solms about 6 years ago.  Got off the train about 10pm in the rain
and found myself in an industrial part of town.  No taxi or anyone in sight.
 My friend and I started walking toward town and spotted a large garage with
the door slightly raised with light inside.  Not knowing where I was, my
friend who speaks German walked inside.  The "garage" was the local
firehouse.  After a few minutes of chit chat, the fireman with nothing else
to do offered to drive us into town.  There were no hotels available but he
knew of a friend that had a bed & breakfast.  The garage door starts to go
up and at that point I came face-to-face with a huge Mercedes firetruck.
That was our ride!  We climbed in for the five minute ride to the B&B.  When
we pulled up and stopped to get off,  the neighbors came out of their houses
thinking there must be a fire.  Fortunately it was just our "taxi" into
town.  The B&B was nice with sheets that must have been made from rope
fibers.  No complaints - I was just happy to have a place to stay.

The ride to Leica in the morning was just as colorful.  Picture this:  The
taxi driver had a cast on his left arm.  It was propped out the window with
his right arm used for steering, holding a cigarette and shifting the gears.
 It was a very colorful ride down to Leica's headquarters.  The only thing
the taxi driver didn't do was go for his cell phone at the same time.  The
folks at Leica were gracious and very accommodating.  The factory tour will
give you an appreciation of what goes into lens fabrication.  When I told
them I was an optometrist, I was given a lens element that was rejected for
failing quality control.

If you go, you'll enjoy it.  Never made it to Wetzlar.  My advice:  if you
plan to stay overnight, make a reservation before you go.

Richard

Richard Clompus, OD
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
rclompus at mac.com