Subject: [Leica] Tiger shooting in Bandhavgarh
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:34:37 -0400

Jayanand wrote:
      In Bandhavgarh (as in Kanha or Pench), it is possible to hire an
     elephant, and track tigers inside the forest. You get very close to
animals, as
     they do not get spooked by an elephant - the only downsides being
the top
     down angle for photography, the discomfort of sitting on elephant
back for
     long periods and the expense! Most professional photographers,
however,
     choose this method, and I have made up my mind to try this for a
day when I
    am next in Bandhavgarh.
    - - - -

Jayanand, you have courage. Last night I watched a Nature TV show on
Public TV showing a group of
    professionals taking pictures of tigers from an elephant in
     Bandhavgarh. Apparently something that a photographer did spooked
the
     tiger and it charged the elephant, jumped for his back and clawed
the
     photographer. The elephant driver beat the tiger back with a club.
The
    clip ended with the photographer tending a long gash in his arm. I
    don't know what happened to the camera. I hate to think of it being
    trampled under elephant foot.

     The morale is: Be careful when photographing tigers. It's a jungle
out
    there. And make sure your insurance is paid up.

    Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Tiger shooting in Bandhavgarh)