Subject: [Leica] Rudely awakened by color management
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:04:48 -0400

On Apr 13, 2010 at 06:19 PM -0600, John Nebel wrote:
> I've been careful to calibrate monitors and to be aware of color
> management, however, until Sunday I hadn't realized that Microsoft didn't
> care as much with its browser.  I rarely use Explorer, but most people
> still do and that's what counts.

I'm not huge into color management, since I mainly shoot film still, but I
like to think of it like this: We take care to make sure our files have the
right resolution, color space profile, sharpening, etc., for specific
outputs.  An 11x17 print on an inkjet on a matte paper is going to get a
different treatment than a 4x6 RA4 print.  Likewise, the web is a specific
output format.  One that calls for sRGB conversion.

It gets worse than just IE.  I know Safari has color management, but who
knows about the iPhone/iPad? Or Blackberries, or HDTVs, or...  It's nice
that some browsers have color management to fall back on, or for use in
specific situations, but for the most part, the web is sRGB.

It's very easy to add a "convert to sRGB" step in a output action in
Photoshop.  I'm sure Aperture and Lightroom have the option for conversion
on output; I know Photo Mechanic does, and that's not even an editing
program.

Replies: Reply from john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel) ([Leica] Rudely awakened by color management)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Rudely awakened by color management)
Message from john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel) ([Leica] Rudely awakened by color management)