Subject: [Leica] two questions for the LUGger expertise
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (piers.hemy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:41:40 +0100

Vince, permit me to pick up on this point you made.

Firstly, the sensor in the GF1 is not half the size of the 35mm frame - it
is 13mm x 17mm.

Secondly, I can assure you (having just tried it to be sure!) that a 50mm
lens on a 35mm camera does give approximately the same image as a 25mm lens
on the GF1 sized sensor (allowing for the different proportions of each
format). And by "the same" I mean in the viewfinder the subject is the same
size, *and the same perspective* (camera position is unchanged).
Perspective is only changed if camera position changes, it does not change
if all you do is use a telephoto in place of a wide angle.

So that is why people say this - it's counter-intuitive, but true.

Piers