Subject: [Leica] anyone see conjunction?
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:22:30 -0400

Dave R wrote

"Nice photo, Doug. Somewhere I've got a photo that I took (using a Leica
M4) about 20 years ago during a partial solar eclipse. I was in Salt
Lake City at the time. I didn't photograph the actual eclipse. I just
photographed the shadow of a tree during the eclipse.

What was strange about the image was that the shadow from each leaf
appeared to have a little notch cut out of it, as a result of the
eclipse. I once saw a similar photo that Ansel Adams had taken years
ago. It wasn't the kind of photo you'd hang on a wall, but it showed the
somewhat bizarre terra manifestation of a solar eclipse. If I can ever
find the negative I'll scan it. Or if someone else has one, I'd like to
see it. Like I said, it's really bizarre."

- - - - - -

Do you mean pictures like this?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Partial+Solar+Eclipse.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Partial+eclipse+detail.jpg.html

They were taken during a partial solar eclipse visible in New York in 1969.
The images were formed by sunlight passing through gaps between the leaves
of a tree, each gap acting like a tiny pinhole camera. As you can see the
average New Yorker is pretty blase about astronomical happenings. The camera
was my ever ready Rollei 35. I don't recall what the film was.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] anyone see conjunction?)
Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] anyone see conjunction?)