Subject: [Leica] Partial eclipse (was - Anyone seen the conjunction?)
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:32:34 -0400

Vince,

The partial eclipse pics were scanned from a shoebox full of prints I had on
a closet shelf. So the film must have been print film. The date is
approximate. I had just gotten a first edition Rollei 35 and was learning
how to guesstimate focus. That probably accounts for the less than razor
sharp images. The most interesting thing was that even though eclipses and
partial eclipses are visible in New York only about once every 20 years, no
one was bothering to look. It takes a lot to grab New Yorker's attention.

Larry Z

- - - - - -

Larry,

Is it slide or print film, can you remember that much? The color has held up

amazingly well.

Vince

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin at gmail.com
>wrote:

Dave R wrote

"Nice photo, Doug. Somewhere I've got a photo that I took (using a Leica

M4) about 20 years ago during a partial solar eclipse. I was in Salt

Lake City at the time. I didn't photograph the actual eclipse. I just

photographed the shadow of a tree during the eclipse.

What was strange about the image was that the shadow from each leaf

appeared to have a little notch cut out of it, as a result of the

eclipse. I once saw a similar photo that Ansel Adams had taken years

ago. It wasn't the kind of photo you'd hang on a wall, but it showed the

somewhat bizarre terra manifestation of a solar eclipse. If I can ever

find the negative I'll scan it. Or if someone else has one, I'd like to

see it. Like I said, it's really bizarre."

- - - - - -

Do you mean pictures like this?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Partial+Solar+Eclipse.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Partial+eclipse+detail.jpg.html

They were taken during a partial solar eclipse visible in New York in 1969.

The images were formed by sunlight passing through gaps between the leaves

of a tree, each gap acting like a tiny pinhole camera. As you can see the

average New Yorker is pretty blase about astronomical happenings. The

camera

was my ever ready Rollei 35. I don't recall what the film was.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from piers.hemy at gmail.com (piers@hemy.org) ([Leica] Partial eclipse (was - Anyone seen the conjunction?))