Subject: [Leica] HCB exhibit and the New Yorker Review
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:04:14 -0400

> bob - should be fun.  Both the NY Times article and the New yorker draw
> robert
> Frank into the mix.  Interesting.  I haven't followed Frank's stuff at all
> since The Americans which I consider one of the greatest photography tomes
> ever.
>
> ernie
> On Apr 17, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Robert D. Baron wrote:

Frank was just up at the MET. Might still be up. 16x20's.
And they know he used a 50 on Leica of course.
But an old Elmar. HCB used a  50/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar.

Both redefined the ante on what photography was all about and around the
same time.
Both Leica.
Both street shooters.

HCB was a rich tall blond French guy and Frank a short swarthy Swiss guy.
Both on the left side of left. Both shot films.
Frank was Swiss and needed grant money for gas.

HCB looked like the guy whose head explodes at the end of Raiders of the
Lost Ark. To me at least.
HCB escaped from Nazi prisoner of war camps not two but three times.
His first show in NY was given posthumously.
They thought he was dead.

When HCB went somewhere he usually got an apartment there and lived there.
He didn't stay in a hotel as much.
Frank stayed at the Howard Johnson's.
And he made his own prints.
HCB farmed them out. But seldom had his film run in Walgreens.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner