Subject: [Leica] Was anyone see conjunction? - Now Call for Photos
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 03:07:14 +0000

David. this photo description sounds like one I could use in a upcoming
class. Last summer I taught a class at our local CC and as part of the I
showed a few photos that were intended to get the students thinking. For
example, I showed some crepuscular rays and asked what they thought they
were. Then, when one of them said they were the rays from the sun at
sunset, I said that the sun was setting behind me. This gave them something
to think about until someone came up with the idea that it was kind of like
looking at railroad tracks that are essentially parallel, but converged in
the distance in each direction.

So, David, you find this photo, I would love to have permission to use it in
the class I will be teaching again this Summer. The class is a biology
class for non-majors, but any subject matter will do. I am just trying to
get them to observe and try to use their past knowledge and experience to
solve a problem, or at least ask the right questions. Also point out biases
they might have. That is part of science.

So, here is my call/plea - if anyone in the group has photos that may not
appear obvious at first glance, I would love to use them.

Another example. When I was visiting relatives in Southern Cal this last
January, I saw a scene that I wanted to photograph. Fall colors on some
trees, yet with palm trees in the background. I had in mind to show the
photo w/o the palm trees and ask when this photo was taken. Since I live in
Yakima, WA, I know I would get September or October as guesses, then flash
the same photo with the palm trees and ask again. Never got the shot as
when I returned 3 days later with a camera, the Santa Anna winds had blown
off all the fall colored leaves. Maybe someone has some fall color from the
southern hemisphere that I could use? Again, observing, thinking and
biases.

This is the sort of photos I am looking for. So, if anybody has some great
shots (credit to you will be given), that they could forward to me, I would
love to look at them and perhaps use them in my class.

Thanks

Aram