Subject: [Leica] Trabant
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:48:09 -0400

Ken writes:
"I had a Saab 96L two-stroke.  A gas tank and an oil tank.  It quit one

day in northern Oklahoma (middle of nowhere X2) and the gas station guy

said, we have a doctor here who is a Saab collector - I'll call him.  He

showed up and repaired the "clutch" no charge...there is a God.  There

are other stories."

- - - - - -

Saabs have come a long way since the days of the relatively reliable, rally
winning two stroke. The two strokes, by the way, are now illegal in New York
because they won't meet the emission requirements. But for years the
company, under GM ownership, stagnated and produced quirky cars that
underperformed their rivals. I own and drive the only modern Saab made in
years, a Saab 92X. The only trouble is that it is really a rebadged and
upscaled Subaru WRX. The car has neck snapping acceleration and lets me
relive my sports car addiction without letting the neighbors scoff at my
inner child. Saab is now owned by Spyker, a Dutch firm, financed by Russian
billionaires, that produced 38 cars last year. Maybe Leica should be sold to
the Russians too.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Trabant)