Subject: [Leica] Chicago by GF1
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:21:51 -0400

Offered for your consideration is a small portfolio of GF1 shots from
Chicago this last weekend. We go to the city every year or two, but this is
the first time to my recollection that we had low-hanging clouds, circa
100-150m above street level.

The most wondrous thing we visited was the Cloud Gate in Millennium Park.
There is no sculpture like this anywhere else in the world, and no object
that I've ever seen that plays with the eye and lines of sight in such
complex and nonintuitive ways: multiple recursive reflections that include,
maddeningly, multiple reflections of a single surface within itself?without
an obvious conjugate mirror to produce the recursive reflections, since its
own negative curvature almost invisibly serves this function! It's an
utterly fascinating object and experience?a worthy destination in itself for
anyone interested in light, optics, mathematics, puzzles, images, topology,
art, eastern mysticism, or Old High Church Slavonic epic poetry. Or anyone
with a sense of wonder and whimsy and curiosity, like the kids-of-all-ages
pictured here. If you visit Chicago, don't miss it. Really.

It's also fascinating to read about, for example on Wikipedia:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gate

All photos with the 20/1.7 muffin lens (well, I think it's too thick to be
called a pancake!).

Link to the album on the Gallery:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Gallery+Scans_001/

C&C solicited.