Subject: [Leica] Nikon Scanner
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Socolow Carl)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:06:04 -0400

Jim,

I use a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000. I scan Tri-X using Vuescan. I use
a fluidmount film holder for improved flatness; primarily because I'm
scanning Hasselblad XPan negatives as well as my Leica negs. But,
regardless, there are several settings that are relevant no matter
which holder you use; nor which scanner.

In general I use the Kodak/TMax 400 film profile with a Contrast
Index (CI) of .50. Then I'll vary it once I have the prescan to get a
more extended histogram. I should add that I scan all my BW at 16 bit
greyscale at 4000 dpi at 100% of negative size. I output as a 16 bit
greyscale as well. In my preferences I save both a tiff file (which
has my vuescan adjustments applied) as well as a raw file in DNG
format in case I need a totally unmodified scan right off the sensor.
Often times I've used both layering them up in Photoshop to allow for
different dynamic ranges of the negative; e.g. holding details in
highlights where I'll adjust the raw scan and then layer it over the
Vuescan processed layer. Suffice to say that there's a lot of info in
a negative and the scanner is capable of getting it out. I also use
minimal grain reduction setting with just a touch of sharpening in
the scan. I guess I could do it post-scan in Photoshop but I've been
pleased with the results so I'm not messing. Also, in Vuescan I tend
to adjust black and white points against the histogram reference as
well as brightness. I use the Preview visualization window. I try to
crop as close to the edge of the neg as possible so that I'm not
wasting precious pixels with black border.

You can see some examples of my work at www.carlsandersocolow.com

There's a link there if you want to email me offlist for more advice.

Best regards,

Carl Socolow

On Apr 28, 2010, at 5:34 PM, lug-request at leica-users.org wrote:

> Message: 20
> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:16:44 -0500
> From: James Laird <digiratidoc at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Leica] OT: HELP Nikon scanner neophyte
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> I'm about to get a Nikon 4000ED. This will be my first foray into film
> scanning and I'd like some advice on the best way to begin. I'm mainly
> interested in scanning my Tri-X negatives but may venture into
> scanning some of my old color slides eventually. What are the best
> settings in vuescan to get good scans with Tri-X and Kodachrome? Any
> and all advice would be appreciated.

Carl Socolow
Socolow Photography
www.socphoto.com