Subject: [Leica] Exposure comp and the M9
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:03:24 +1000

Stan I don't routinely underexpose but there are practical reasons why many
excellent photographers do and they consider the trade off reasonable.
Clearly it works.
To add to what Bob and Tina have said, while you can and probably will
routinely recover some detail in your shadows, at high ISO values,
underexposure then recovery worsens noise there. That may or may not be
significant and you can clip the shadows in Post to ameliorate that if
desired. Another trade off.
I would also add that in my experience, the clipping indication on your
camera LCD histogram is conservative as the preview is based on the jpg
conversion settings of your Raw file.

Obviously only you can be the judge by experience of what works best for you
with your equipment, technique, subjects and intended output.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman