Subject: [Leica] OT: HELP Nikon scanner neophyte
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

Yes LR works on .tif files, as does CS#.

You can't edit with Camera Raw if it isn't a Raw file. You can certainly do
non-destructive edits on a .tif file (using LR or CS# layers), but my
understanding is that a .tif file is created by software interpreting the
sensor output (either scan or camera). A Raw file is simply the sensor
output without any software interpretation (other than the obvious firmware
interpreting the RGB value to give photon strengths received).

So the advantage, IMO of saving a raw file from a scan is the same as saving
it from a camera instead of the .tif file. All manipulation is up to the
owner, not the software.

But I'm no engineer and am probably barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps
others would know and I would be very interested in hearing thoughts.
Best,
Bob
 Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA