Subject: [Leica] IMG: Oil rig tragedy
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:39:06 -0400

Luggers who have been paying attention to the news are aware of the tragedy
of the Transocean drilling rig Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico. The
rig exploded, burned, and eventually sank in several thousand feet of water.
The leaking oil will probably cause an environmental catastrophe on the Gulf
shoreline. Fortunately  of the 126 crew aboard, only 11 were lost. This
tragedy was of personal relevance to me. From 1975 through the mid 80s I
served as a consultant to the offshore oil industry and spent considerable
time aboard drill rigs both in the Gulf and in the North Sea. All of us were
aware of the constant risk of fire and explosion although we tried to put it
out of our minds.

Modern offshore oil drilling rigs are enormous structures with decks twice
the size of a football field. They come in four types; platform rigs which
are perched on towers and anchored to the bottom; jackup rigs which are
large floating barges, towed into position and then raised up to drilling
position by huge jacks; semi submersibles which are floating structures
towed into position, partially filled with water, and held in place by
anchors; and drill ships which are primarily used for deep water
exploration. The Transocean rig was one of the world's largest semi
submersibles. Despite the size and high technology, the rigs only exist to
let a team of rugged men operate drilling equipment similar to that used on
land. The rigs operate day and night. Each of two shifts works a
backbreaking, labor intensive, 12 hour a day job. Most drill crews work for
two weeks straight then are airlifted back to shore while another crew takes
their place. The drill crews need support and maintenance personnel, cooks,
crane operators, etc. so a compliment of 100 or so persons on a modern rig
is the norm.

Looking through my files, I uncovered some pictures I took in 1979 on the
Cognac rig in the Gulf of Mexico. It is the world's largest platform drill
rig, perched on a tower 1025 feet tall over the Cognac oil field. I was not
there to take pictures so the photos are mostly grab shots taken with a
Rollei 35 on a grey, overcast day. Unspotted. Be charitable.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/_quot_Tripping_quot_+the+drill+pipe+1.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/_quot_Tripping_quot_+the+drill+pipe+2.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/_quot_Tripping_quot_+the+drill+pipe+3.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/The+derrickman.jpg.html