Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ruffed Grouse
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:26:24 -0400

Ric Carter wrote:

really fine, the difficulty of your job indicates the effectiveness of camo
job
<<<

Re: the camo job, my daughter recently discovered knitting and she made a
camo cap for me.  I call it my 'invisibility hat'.  Seems to work :)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

On May 3, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Doug Herr wrote:

> This weekend I made a quick trip (for family) to Brookings Oregon, on the
Pacific coast just north of the California/Oregon border.  While there I
found a female Ruffed Grouse who was far more tolerant of a camo-clad
photographer than I expected:

> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/rugrou00.html
>
> The background was a bit difficult to work with because of the clutter of
the leaf litter on the forest floor; also the grouse' preferred habitat is
the dense understory of the Pacific Northwest's temperate rain forest, so
getting a clear view of the bird meant getting really really close with an
ultrawide-angle lens (100mm APO in this case).  Now, about the
background... I wanted a darker background behind the bird's head, which in
this particular case was more distant.  The best way to get the dark
background was a very low camera angle, which meant on my belly in the rain
forest with huge banana slugs nearby.

> technical stuff: R8/DMR, 100mm APO, slight crop, shoulder stock, heavy
fog/light drizzle lighting.  All comments welcome.